Monday, February 13, 2012

The Best of the Best


Do you have a favorite Bible verse or passage? If you are like me, you might have several. Why is it your favorite? Does it remind you of a specific time in your life? Does it remind you of something God has provided to you? Do you simply love the message? Whatever your reason, we can become attached to passage in God’s Word and whenever we hear it, we are comforted.

As I said earlier, I have several that I truly love. Each for a different reason, but each has a special place in my heart. Think of it like my children and grand children. I love them all, for different reasons, but the main reason is that they are my children and grand children. They are connected to me in a way that no other human is. My blood flows through them and that means we are family.

My first favorite is Lamentations 3:22-23. “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” I am so thankful that each day is a new day. That all of my “mess ups” can be put behind me each morning. And there is nothing like the feeling of being loved. And not just love, great love! And because of that love, I can withstand anything that Satan wants to throw at me. But most importantly, I love these verses because it states once again, God is faithful. Even when I am not. He will greet me each morning with something new. The choice is up to me. Will I meet Him and bask in His faithfulness and love? Or will I ignore Him and throw aside the mercies and compassions He longs to give me?

My second favorite verse if 2 Chronicles 16:9a. “For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him."King Asa had rejected God’s strength and relied upon treaties with another country to keep his kingdom secure. This verse is in the middle of the account. God is looking to strengthen, but His desire is that our hearts are completely committed to Him. What alliances have I chosen instead of God’s strength? This verse is a reminder that He is searching. Now, am I that one whose heart is fully committed to Him?

My third favorite verse is 2 Corinthians 12:9-10. “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” The apostle Paul asked that God take away his “thorn in his flesh,” but God had other plans. Paul was reminded by these verses that it is only through God’s strength that we are able to do anything. I too, boast that I am weak. I know that I couldn’t make it through a day without God’s strength or grace.

As I view it, there are many great verses and passages in God’s Word. I love them all, because I love God’s Word. But I really love specific ones because of what I have gained from my insight into the verses. And because I’ve been covered by the blood of Jesus Christ, I know what it means to be part of a family.

I’d love to hear from you. What is your favorite verse and why?

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment