Monday, November 26, 2012

It's Skyline Time

Skyline Chili is one of my favorite foods. It is a Greek-style chili that some call Cincinnati chili. However, Skyline is the original and the best in my opinion.

During my college days in Cincinnati, Skyline Chili was a staple. Our curfew was 11 p.m. But we could easily leave campus at 10:15, walk to Skyline Chili, eat a three-way or coney dog, and be back to the dorm by 11 p.m.

On my visits to Ohio to see family, Skyline Chili is a restaurant we frequent often, because I need to get my chili fix before I leave. I also purchase cans of Skyline Chili to take home so that I have a little to hold me over until my next visit.

Skyline Chili is a regional thing. There are no restaurants in Colorado and you could not purchase it here...until now!

Several months ago, my daughter called me from her local grocery store very excited. “Mom, they sell Skyline Chili!” So naturally, on my next visit to the grocery I looked to see if my store carried it. But no, I was disappointed. However, I knew I could get it in the Denver store.


I had forgotten about Skyline Chili. So imagine my excitement when I found a display at another nearby grocery store! Yes! I could purchase this product in my own state. When I wanted it. And the hassle of transporting those cans had come to an end.

Sometimes I think this is exactly how we treat God. We are not consistent with our Bible study, prayer time, or quiet visits with God. We run to Him when we have an issue. Or we talk to him about a problem. But it’s usually on our schedule and according to our own needs. We have no real desire to be in God’s presence on a daily basis.

However, if you are in a situation like this, might I suggest that you work a little harder at taking your relationship with God to the next level? God wants to hear from you (and me) on a regular basis. Just because. Or because you want to be in God’s presence.

So let’s take a look at Psalm 16 and see what benefits David says there are in being in God’s presence.

Safety
“Keep me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge.” (Psalm 16:1 – NIV)

All Goodness
“I said to the Lord, ‘You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.” (Psalm 16:2 – NIV)

God’s People
“As for the saints who are in the land, they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight.” (Psalm 16:3 – NIV)

Devotion
“The sorrows of those will increase who run after other gods. I will not pour out their libations of blood or take up their names on my lips.” (Psalm 16:4 – NIV)

Security
“Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup you have made my lot secure.” (Psalm 16:5 – NIV)

Future
“The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.” (Psalm 16:6 – NIV)

Instruction
“I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me.” (Psalm 16:7 – NIV)

Firm Foundation
“I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” (Psalm 16:8 – NIV)

Joy and Rest
“Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure,” (Psalm 16:9 – NIV)

Everlasting Life and Jesus
“because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay.” (Psalm 16:10 – NIV)

A Path
“You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.” (Psalm 16:11 – NIV)

If nothing else, these benefits should draw you to a closer relationship with God. Why not see for yourself the wonderful benefits of being in God’s presence on a regular basis. Get to know Him. Learn of His ways and teachings. Love and praise Him through the good times and lean on Him through the bad. It’s exactly what He wants you to do.

As for me, I keep thinking of Psalm 84:10 (NIV). “Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.”

I pray that you can say the same thing.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment